Monday, March 7, 2011

A Metered Critique of Logic

It was the second week of freshman year
and I a pretty average music major
who, to ensure I knew why notes rang clear
took Sound Physics as my Thursday night class.

On the first day I had percieved the danger;
I was the only woman in the room.
And before long, one of the skinny strangers
asked if I'd like to join him sometime soon. 

Math majors never take you out to eat
Our first date was a lecture by a NASAn.
The boy was awkward, true, but very sweet
and had a wonderful idea for our second.

A physicists dream, we visited next.
It had no forces sans what we put in it
(My boyfriend aced some big calculus test;
he solved this... anyway, he had to win it)

There was no door- we just ended up there.
It felt unnatural but I wasn't scared...
There were no walls, there were no floors, just us.
Our essences; not even any air!

I wasn't sure what to do, where to go.
Nothing to think ABOUT.  He held my hand
and whispered "heaven," but since sound needs air
to work I didn't hear him become man. 

You don't understand "only" till you've seen
trees wither here with no food and no sun
or soil to dominate.  What kind of dream
has no wakening, no morning to come?

Controlled experiments are only so
to find patterns in how the real world goes.
We had no paper to transcribe our laws
and the white silence was our sole applause. 

-Citron

No comments: