Saturday, August 13, 2011

An Open Letter to Artemis and to the Kids Who Think Nuns are Weird.

Zeus and Leto slept together
(Or however gods produce), but
they still respected their daughter
When she never replaced Zeus.
One so close to wild nature
So fleet of foot, so sure of shot
Could find a lover, gentle teacher; yes
Artemis could find a lot.
In all her forests, soft dark caves
She joins not in the ringmarole
Why can't she line up as a slave
And do just as the animals?
Oh Artemis, I do not try
To climb Olympus.  No, in fact
I just pursue a simple life. 
No clambering.  The opposite. 
And while one day I might well be
In a white temple as you are
I'll just be praying on the peak
(Or borrowing my husband's car.) 
What you consider godly I
consider part of happy life.
So thanks-- maybe I'm not so weird.
Just quite content to shoot my deer
Without sleeping around.


-Citron

No comments: