Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lead solution

There is a constant rapping on my skull, from the inside
Things want to get out—I need to be,
I need to be, they plead and hit and hit
And most of them are your fault, so I asked
If we can have some time for quiet from them and from you
Other times I will bring them to live here,
shoot them out of wrists and hands
and spray them around the house
like wildflowers in a yellowed vase.
When I can make them be for you,
Those hours.  And then the idea happened
That everyone in the potentially florid house might
Split themselves as Emily had.
There is a difference, if course,
Between a pledge and a surprise corpus callosum.
And when the new idea becomes giant and stretches into flaw and even,
Even though it’s new when it’s commonplace,
Nothing works.  The solution is no longer easy smooth or even potable.
Salt and lead live together,
And someone wants to drink.
I can live with water in a cup,
Although I lose my characteristic taste.
You don’t want to drink lead, in the first place,
And if you heated it enough to be a liquid
You would be a gas.  Leave it, and it will
just sit at the bottom
Gray powder in a pile on the floor of the vase
Just under the cut green stems. 

-Citron

No comments: